When I started my job at ECDC it was just something to keep me busy and I knew I would enjoy it because it was working with kids. However, I don't think I ever realized just how much I would enjoy it. God has really blessed me with the class that I was placed in and it has actually given me great hands on experience in my field of special education. We have a 3 yr old who has autism and it has been such a growing experience for me to work with him. It has been neat to try different techniques that I am learning in my classes or have learned in past experiences to try and enrich his experience in our classroom. Plus it is really neat to be in an inclusive environment where all different types of kids are accepted. We actually have not only a child with autism, but a few with speech disorders, and that could probably be classified as ED.
All this really hit home yesterday because the little boy in my class with autsim attends a 1/2 day program that will end before our school year ends. His mom and I were discussing how I would love to continue trying to work on things with him one-on-one after his special education program ends in May and that way he can continue to make gains. She is all for the idea and wants me to go observe him in his school setting. I am super excited about this opportunity and I know it is going to be a great growing experience for me.
My experiences in this classroom and in some of my field experiences have been leading me to strongly consider working with preschool special education once I graduate. I don't think I ever though that I would say that, but God has really been laying the groundwork for this possibility and blessing me with the experiences to spark my interest. Early intervention is so important and can make huge difference and I think it would be super awesome to be a part of that. Right now I am simply trusting God to guide me and we shall see where that leads!!
No comments:
Post a Comment