01 May 2012
Goal Update: 4 Months
1. Read the Bible in one year using the YouVersion.com plan. - With things being so busy I have missed days here and there, but I am so thankful to know that reading the Bible isn't what saves me. I have been able to keep up with the plan since the program keeps up with what I miss and it has been neat to see how the Lord uses what I read some days to really help me.
2. Read one book for each month of the year. - I didn't get around to an update for March, but I did read a book in March. I read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. I really enjoyed reading the book (though it does have a lot of similar information to Food Rules so I did some skimming). Reading Michael Pollan's stuff has really gotten me thinking about how I look at food and the type of food I want to be serving my family. Don't get me wrong, I still love me some ice cream and other sugary goodness (maybe too much when I am stressed), but we are making strides to improve our overall eating as a family and this book has been a help for that. Thanks to a wonderful suggestion from my friend Jessica, I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver during the month of April. It was about her goal to eat local for a year. I really enjoyed it and, even though it was long, it was a really easy read. She challenges a lot of really neat principles and as a result I am really looking closely at what we buy. We are by no means going all out, but I am trying to buy local, organic, and minimally processed whenever I can. Plus I am loving making a lot of things like granola bars, bread, refried beans, tortillas, pancakes and more that I used to buy. :-)
3. Incorporate more fresh and healthy food than last year even if it means spending more money. - This goes along with what I said above about what I have been reading. We are definitely spending more money, but it is all worth the health of our family. I am so glad that the Farmers Market opened this month too so that makes it even more fun to buy local fresh ingredients.
4. Run a race...I haven't done one since I was pregnant with Alethea and I am itching to run one. Thinking maybe the Bridge Run 6 mile race :-) - Didn't make it to the bridge run since it was too much to take on running training and keep up with P90x. I am making it my goal now to simply get out and run a few times a week and we are hoping to do a 5K as a family in May or June.
5. Ben and I want to do P90X or some other workout program together. - We completed P90x! It was a great and challenging experience. The workouts got a bit blah in the last month and as a result I am not sure I got as much out of them as I would have hoped, but we are still glad we did it. With the busy schedules that we have going on we realized the way we did P90x actually almost caused more stress so we are rethinking that as we move on to our next workout. We have begun Insanity which is put out by the same company as P90x, but instead of stressing over getting it done in 60 days, we are just striving to complete it even if it takes us 90. That way we are able to do more work outs together (which was our initial goal anyway) and I am able to run on the days that we don't do insanity. So it is a win-win in my book!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Those are all great goals! Very similar to goals I've had in the past. I've read Animal Vegetable Miracle. Are either 'Food Rules' or 'In defense of Food' easy reads? I am not very good at finishing books that I start, reading isn't my learning style, but it's been good for me to grow in my disciple of reading.
ReplyDeleteFood Rules is super easy quick read. I think it took me 2 days to read. However I would say skip that and go ahead and read In Defense of Food. It isn't a hard read either, just a bit longer, and it has all of the food rules in it anyway. It has a lot of good information and very good principles (food rules) to live by.
Delete